Parking and Transportation Services does space counts a few weeks into every semester to check that parking supply is sufficient for demand. These counts also inform planning for future parking facilities. All parking designations are counted: resident and commuter students, facutly/staff, visitors, ADA parking, etc., but because students are the population for whom most of campus parking is designated, the following information focuses on decks and lots open to those with student permits.
Student parking at a glance
|Location||Total Available||Unoccupied 10:00 AM||Unoccupied 12:00 PM||Unoccupied 2:00 PM||Unoccupied 4:00 PM||Unoccupied 6:00 PM|
|Lot 26 (at FM/Police)||86||0||7||2||32||65|
|Lot 25 (across from Witherspoon)||483||88||75||62||121||164|
|Lot 19 (by Union Deck)||261||1||2||1||26||38|
|Lot 18 (by Union Deck)||92||0||0||4||25||36|
|CRI Deck 1||1318||795||796||787||961||1176|
|CRI Lot 2||129||0||2||3||39||111|
|Lot 23 (CRI by stadium)||180||0||10||2||16||84|
|Lot 14 (by Tennis complex)||22||1||1||0||7||13|
|Lot 7A (Memorial Hall)||37||0||1||1||10||25|
|Lot 7 (behind Cone Deck)||112||0||2||4||2||11|
|Lot 101 Foundation Bldg.||61||31||28||27||35||50|
|South Village Deck||1100||196||152||184||268||321|
|Lot 8 (by So.Village Deck)||245||0||0||9||12||6|
|Lot 16 (Oak, Pine, Maple, Elm)||118||0||0||1||4||5|
|Lot 20 (behind Witherspoon)||105||0||0||1||0||0|
|Lot 21 (beside Witherspoon)||133||1||0||1||1||2|
|Lot 12 (NE corner Mary Alex & Cameron)||51||0||1||3||11||43|
|Lot 13 (Hawthorn)||138||1||2||1||4||4|
|Lot 6 (off Martin Village Rd.)||602||286||136||198||292||377|
|Lot 5 (Van Landingham Rd.)||580||26||33||87||211||313|
|Lot 5A (Van Landingham)||251||87||47||66||138||108|
|Lot 4A (Van Landingham at John Kirk)||127||14||18||27||66||108|
|East Deck 3||811||122||108||193||383||591|
|East Deck 2||518||8||20||45||126||164|
*Counts taken over a two week period of normal class schedule (no holiday/break). ** Student parking space total. Does not include Faculty/Staff gated access, reserved, ADA/van accessible/handicapped, motorcycle, metered, visitor or discount remote parking. Campus total 13,931. Note: CRI Deck I is a mixed use facility on every level (available equally to Commuters, Faculty/Staff and Visitors and, after 6 PM, to those with Resident permits.)
Main points for Commuters:
- Everyone wants to park as close as they can to their class and most classes are scheduled from about 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Therefore, more students are trying to park in the same places at the same time. Competition is stiff.
- Take a look at the Commuter parking areas in bold. They are generally the least crowded and every one of them has a shuttle stop.
- It feels counterintuitive to park farther away from where you're going but just try it ONCE. You will likely find it doesn't take much longer and that it's less stressful to easily find parking in a lower-demand area and take the shuttle or walk to class. Once you've tried an alternative parking area, it won't feel as annoying to park there on days when your preferred parking is full.
- Download the UNCCNextRide app or access the NextRide mobile web site you view where the shuttle is and when it will get to your stop.
- There's NO REASON to park illegally in a full lot or deck and risk getting a citation
- It's pointless to circle a full deck or lot. Students do not generally come-and-go in steady streams but in hour-and-a-half bursts based on when classes begin and end. A full deck or lot at 9:30 a.m. will likely remain so until around 12:30 p.m. or so.
Questions? Email email@example.com or Tweet @unccparking or call 704-687-0161. The PaTS Call Center line is open 24/5 weekdays, 5 a.m. Monday through 10 p.m. Friday.