Appeals should be limited to one of the following arguments:
- The vehicle was not in violation of University parking regulations at the time of the citation.
- An extenuating circumstance beyond the operator's control placed the vehicle in violation.
Examples of seldom-granted appeals:
- Lack of knowledge of parking regulations
- Overtime parking at meters, including parking at a malfunctioning meter
- Hazard lights are on
- Failure to notify Parking Services when a vehicle is inoperable
- Your vehicle was loaned/driven by someone else
- Forgetting to display a valid parking permit
- Inability to find a legally-marked parking space
- Parking in a reserved space without the proper permit
- Failure to obtain a temporary permit or loading permit
- Dropping off homework assignment or seeing the instructor
- Did not purchase the permit in time
- Held up late from an appointment or class
Any vehicle on the University Tow List or vehicle that cannot be identified by license plate or VIN is subject to immobilization (boot). The immobilization device will be removed for a fee of $75 plus any unpaid citations and after registering the vehicle at the Parking and Transportation Services (PaTS) Office.
The first three (3) citations in an academic year, if paid within ten (10) business days, are automatically reduced by 50%, with the exception of false registration or parking in a space reserved for the disabled. Fines for violations that have been appealed and denied will be reduced by 50% (except those issued for false registration or parking in a space for the disabled), if paid within ten (10) business days after the date of a denial of appeal notification letter.
Please have the vehicle's license plate number or the citation number. Failure to provide this information may delay the processing of the payment.
Payment methods include:
- 49er Account
- Credit (Visa/Mastercard/American Express only)
Failure to pay parking citations may result in:
- Students: Charges to the student's University account. Failure to pay all University debt will result in denial of registration and/or issuance of transcripts.
- Faculty/Staff: Deduction from University payroll check.
- Non-affiliated Visitors: Charges may be submitted for collection through an independent agency.
Vehicles with four (4) or more outstanding citations are subject to being IMMOBILIZED or TOWED and may have parking privileges revoked for the remainder of the academic year. Once a vehicle is placed on the Tow List, all outstanding citations must be paid in full for the vehicle to be removed from the list.
|Improper display of permit||$20|
|Failure to display issued permit (issued permit not visible in vehicle)||$20|
|Line straddling or other improper parking||$30|
|Meter time violation||$30|
|Parking in a "No Parking" area||$50|
|Parking in an improper area for permit||$40|
|Parking on the grass||$50|
|Blocking traffic, crosswalk or pedestrian access||$80|
|Parking without a valid permit||$80|
|Failure to pay fee at designated Visitor Area||$30|
|Parking in a space or accessibility ramp reserved for disabled||$250|
*Alleged moving violations may result in a citation to District Court, Mecklenburg County, as prescribed by North Carolina State Law.