- UNC Charlotte parking permits are required to park anytime the University is open and are enforced on the first day of class. If you have not already done so, purchasing online is the easiest way to get your permit. Permits are now virtual so there is nothing to pick up.
- Parking privileges are assigned to your UNCCMyPark account (based on the type of permit you buy) and verified through license plate recognition (LPR). Equipment installed at decks and lots will scan your plate as you enter and exit. If there is a gate, it will be signaled to lift.
- If LPR fails for any reason, your 49er ID Card serves as a secondary credential – just tap and hold your card on the equipment column.
If waiting on a financial aid refund or otherwise not yet able to purchase a permit
- If you do not have a permit, you must pay to park in a Visitor parking area. If you only need to park for an hour or two, Union, Cone, East 1, South Village, or CRI decks or Lot 4 pay-by-plate have designated short-term visitor parking. Visitor parking map
- You may buy a temporary permit for $4.00/day that will allow you park in North Deck for up to four days, Monday, Aug. 21 through Thursday, Aug. 24.
- You may also buy temporary daily permits for $8.00/day that allow you to park in any Commuter area (yellow or orange lots and decks).
If you prefer paying for a permit via cash or check
For those who do not wish to order a permit online or need assistance with their purchase, PaTS staff will be set up in Popp Martin Student Union, Room 140:
- Thursday, Aug. 17, 8 AM – 6 PM
- Friday, Aug. 18, 8 AM – 5 PM
- Saturday, Aug. 19, 1 PM – 5 PM
- Sunday, Aug. 20, 2 PM – 5 PM
- Monday, Aug. 21, 8 AM – 6 PM
- Tuesday, Aug. 22, 8 AM – 6 PM
- Wednesday, Aug. 23, 8 AM – 6 PM
Expect parking to be especially tight this year
- Peak parking demand occurs Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (based on class schedule). Tips for parking during peak demand hours
- Lot 18 has permanently closed due to the expansion of the Union Deck (expected to be complete Summer of 2018). Lot 19 has permanently closed due to the construction of the new Health and Wellness Center (expected to be complete Fall of 2019). Due to the loss of these lots, decks and lots closest to the academic center will reach capacity earlier and stay filled longer. Plan extra time to get to your destination and expect to park in an alternate location which may be on the periphery of campus.
- New transportation services are available to get around campus: NinerTransit buses and Charlotte Wheels bike share.
- The Parking and Transportation Services Communication Center is open 24-hours weekdays (5:00 a.m. Monday to 10:00 p.m. Friday) to answer any parking or transportation related questions: 704-687-0161.
- If you need to park for short-term loading/unloading, call 704-687-0161 for permission and direction.
Permission to park is now virtual and verified through License Plate Recognition (LPR).
- Based on the type of permit you buy, parking privileges are assigned to your vehicle license plate information and to your 49er ID Card.
- Equipment installed at decks and lots will scan your plate as you enter. If there is a gate, it will be signaled to lift. In lots without gates, the system recognizes vehicles with virtual permits; enforcement is alerted when cars are parked without permission.
- You must now park “head-in” so that your license plate is visible from the drive lane. LPR needs a clear view of your license plate so you cannot back into a space unless your vehicle is registered in a state that issues both front and back plates, or if you have purchased a front plate alternative from PaTS (see below).
- There is a front plate option for those who prefer to back in to park.
- The LPR-readable front plate option will have your state-issued license plate number printed onto a UNC Charlotte plate. Price is $20.00. You do not have to pay to renew the plate when your permit expires, it is good for as long as your state-issued rear plate number remains the same and the front plate is readable by the LPR system.
- To place an order for a UNC Charlotte front plate, order your permit online as usual then email email@example.com with the subject, “Front plate”. Be sure to state the license plate numbers(s) of the vehicle(s) to which you are adding the front plate(s). You will then be notified by email when the option to pay for the front plate(s) is available in the MyPark portal.
- UNC Charlotte front plates are vehicle specific and custom printed. Plan to delay backing in to park until your front plate(s) is/are ready. Turn-around time is usually 7-10 business days.
- Discounted temporary permits for North Deck are available for the first four (4) days of class.
- PaTS is offering $4.00 temporary permits online for parking in North Deck for the first four (4) days of class (Monday, Aug. 21 through Thursday, Aug. 24). This option saves $11.00 over the Visitor parking day rate and frees Visitor decks/lots for those who need shorter-term parking.
- Purchase a temporary North Deck permit at uncc.clickandpark.com; choose the “Fall Rush Temporary Parking” permit option for the specific date(s) you need to park. Print the permit, use to scan in and out of the deck via the barcode scanner in the lane when gates are down and display on vehicle dash when parked in North Deck.
- An express bus will be provided between North Deck and the Student Union, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Aug. 21 through 24. In addition, Niner Transit campus bus service Green Line serves the Cameron Blvd. / Poplar Lane area by North Deck 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. daily.
- Program expires on Thursday, Aug. 25 at 11:59 p.m. Vehicles without the proper Resident, Commuter, or Faculty/Staff permit are subject to citations after this time.
Niner Transit is ALL NEW. Expect larger buses, more buses per route, and service until 2:30 a.m. (even on the weekends)!
- Full campus bus service begins Monday, August 21. Bus stop lists and route maps are available online. Niner Transit is fare-free to all UNC Charlotte students, faculty/staff and visitors.
- Niner Transit buses have two doors. So that buses may load/unload safely and efficiently, the front door is for passengers getting on the bus; all disembarking is done through the back door.
- Real-time GPS tracking for Niner Transit and Niner Paratransit (disability transportation) is available via smartphone or website with the UNCC NextRide app (FREE at Android and iOS app stores) or nextride.uncc.edu.
- Parking for individuals with mobility impairments is available on campus ONLY to those who have a DMV-issued disability placard and a valid UNC Charlotte Parking Permit registered to them.
- Niner Paratransit (formerly SafeRide ADA) provides disability transport for those with mobility impairments who have registered for the service, which is available Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. Services require registration through the Office of Disability Services and completion of a Disability Medical Verification Request form. Niner Paratransit is also available to those who need assistance on a temporary basis. More about Niner Paratransit
- New this year, Niner Paratransit will be servicing the entire campus with new full-size vehicles. Because of this expanded service, scheduling in advance is highly recommended.
- Typically, parking demand is exceptionally high during the first two weeks of fall semester, particularly at Union Deck. Plan to either arrive before 8:00 a.m. or park in a lot toward the margins of campus and utilize Niner Transit to move around campus.
- Digital and printed signage will be posted at various locations throughout campus during the first week of school, letting you know what parking is available. Please pay attention to these signs as they will save you a lot of time and effort, directing you to the proper parking.
- Parking is expected to be especially tight between Monday, Aug. 21 and Wednesday, Aug. 23, due to the first full days of classes.
- Be prepared. Have a plan in mind for alternative parking if your first preference is full when you arrive. Parking map
- Don’t circle a full lot or deck! That only adds to traffic congestion in or near parking decks and lots. Move to a lower-demand area such as North Deck, CRI Deck, or Lot 6 (on Cameron Blvd. near Campus Edge apartments). More detailed information on lot utilization is on our website. There are bus stops nearby for transportation to the center of campus if you don’t wish to walk.
- More parking tips
- Peak traffic times are 7:45 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- All shuttles from off-campus housing complexes must load and unload passengers at the bus loop of East Deck 2 only. Students utilizing private shuttle services are advised to leave early due to campus congestion during the first two weeks of classes.
- If leaving campus between 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., avoid exiting to John Kirk Drive by way of Van Landingham Road near Fretwell. Try using Mary Alexander Road to Mallard Creek Church Road or the bottom level of East Deck 2 that exits to Rt. 49 South (University City Blvd).
- If arriving on campus between 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., avoid the John Kirk Drive entrance at Van Landingham Road (near the Circle K). Instead, enter campus by using Cameron Blvd., the front entrance, Mary Alexander Road, or the bottom level of East Deck 2 from 49 South (University City Blvd.).
- Follow @unccparking on Twitter. PaTS uses Twitter to inform of detours, delays, and other relevant information. For those who don’t use Twitter, the same information is fed directly to the PaTS homepage.
- A windshield decal is required to park at Center City.
- Student parking at Center City requires specific parking credentials which may be purchased only by those registered for classes at that location. Type of permit required is determined by class schedule as listed in Banner.
- Permanent faculty and staff may add Center City parking privileges to a F/S parking permit. Center City permits are correspondingly valid on main campus.
- Unlike main campus, a physical permit is required to park at Center City. Parking at Center City is managed by Preferred Parking, Inc. License plate recognition is not used for access and PaTS has no enforcement authority there. A windshield decal must be displayed to park at Center City. This windshield decal will be used temporarily until the new Center City parking deck opens in early-2018. At that point, 49er ID cards will be used to access the Center City parking deck.
- Center City permit decals will be available for pickup at the Center City Building.
- More about parking at Center City Campus
Everything you need to know about parking and transportation at UNC Charlotte in a less than 10 minutes:
For specific inquiries and concerns, the PaTS Communication Center is available 24 hours on weekdays, 5:00 a.m. Monday through 10:00 p.m. Friday at 704-687-0161, or utilize the contact form on the Parking and Transportation Services website or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We're also on Twitter @unccparking.