Think airport, not mall
Parking near the academic center of campus is tight from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. when the majority of classes are scheduled. Consider parking farther away and taking Niner Transit, walking, biking or scooting to your destination.
Things to know about parking
- Parking is tight for the first two weeks of the semester. Traffic usually settles down by the third week.
- East Deck 2, Union Deck, West Deck and Lot 7 fill up first. Check the Parking Availability website for deck space availability in real-time.
- Don't park illegally and risk getting a citation. There is ample parking farther out with convenient transit access to the center of campus.
Things to know about transit
- Niner Transit is a quick way to get around campus. On average, it takes 7-8 minutes to get from the farthest decks to the center of campus.
- Do a practice run. Before classes start, park at a lesser-used deck or lot (like North Deck, CRI Deck or Lot 6) and take transit to your destination.
- Check out UNCC Nextride or download the app for bus routes and real-time bus tracking.
Pedestrians on campus
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way at all crosswalks unless there is a traffic signal. The traffic circle at Mary Alexander and Van Landingham Roads and the crosswalk in front of the Student Union are controlled by a traffic signal, which must be obeyed by both pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Peak traffic occurs between 7:45 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. and 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Avoid exiting to John Kirk Drive by way of Van Landingham Road near Fretwell between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Try using Mary Alexander Road to Mallard Creek Church Road or the bottom level of East Deck 2 that exits directly to University City Boulevard.
- Avoid entering campus at the John Kirk Drive entrance at Van Landingham Road (near Fretwell) between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Enter campus by using Cameron Blvd., the front entrance, Mary Alexander Road or the bottom level of East Deck 2 from University City Boulevard.