Click here for parking and transportation tips and changes specific to fall 2018
Parking is always tight at the beginning of each semester
Parking can reach near capacity during the first two weeks of the semester when nearly EVERYONE is on campus, attending class, buying books, paying tuition, etc. By the third week of classes, traffic and parking patterns settle down.
Parking areas closest to the academic center fill up early
- Peak parking demand occurs from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. when the majority of classes are scheduled.
- Everyone wants to park as close as they can to main classroom buildings so competition for close-in parking at mid-morning is stiff.
Parking areas that fill up earliest are:
- East Deck 2
- Union Deck
- West Deck
- Lot 7 (between Cone Deck and Belk Gym)
During peak class times, it’s usually faster and easier to park farther out and walk or take a campus bus to academic areas
- The campus bus system, Niner Transit, is a convenient way to get around campus.
- Time it takes to take the bus from farthest decks (North, South Village and CRI) to academic center including average wait time: 7-8 minutes; walk time: 10-15+ minutes.
- UNC Charlotte has sufficient parking even during peak-use hours, with ample parking typically available in areas away from the center of campus.
- Have a plan in mind for an alternate parking area if your first choice is full.
- Do a practice run. Park at a lesser-used parking deck or lot (like North Deck, CRI Deck or Lot 6) and locate the nearest bus stop. Then you’ll know exactly where to park and where to catch the bus if you don’t wish to walk.
- After you see how easy it is to get from where you’ve parked to where you’re going, it will be easy and familiar to park there on days when your favorite parking is full.
- There’s NO REASON to park illegally in a full lot or deck and risk getting a citation.
- There’s NO REASON to drive around a deck until you are late for class. When a deck is full, it will likely stay that way for one to three hours.
Peak traffic times are 7:45 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- PARK ONCE! Driving from one area of campus to another makes traffic worse. It’s easier and usually faster to take the campus bus, walk, or bike.
- If leaving campus between 5 and 6 p.m., avoid exiting to John Kirk Drive by way of Van Landingham Road near Fretwell. Try using Mary Alexander Road to Mallard Creek Church Road or the bottom level of East Deck 2 that exits directly to Rt. 49 South (University City Blvd.).
- If arriving on campus between 5 and 6 p.m., avoid the John Kirk Drive entrance at Van Landingham Road (near Fretwell). Enter campus by using Cameron Blvd., the front entrance, Mary Alexander Road, or the bottom level of East Deck 2 from 49 South (University City Blvd.).
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way at all crosswalks on campus unless there is a traffic signal, which takes precedence. The traffic circle at Mary Alexander and Van Landingham Roads and the crosswalk in front of the Student Union are controlled by a traffic signal, which must be obeyed by both pedestrian and vehicular traffic.